Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Day in London

I am in London. It is October. It is around 7:30am. The concierge grabs a cab for me so I can ride to the Westminster Tube Station. The Cabbie pulls up and gets out of the Cab. He sees I am in a wheelchair. He does not make eye contact with me. He searches for the screwdriver to unlock the built-in ramp in the Cab. He scrambles through the glove compartment for about two minutes and comes around the Cab to tell me he can't find the screwdriver and he can't take me in his Cab. He starts to walk away and get in the Cab. I say to him he can't deny me a ride and that I can show him how to lift me in easily. He says no, he has not denied me a ride, and drives away. His Cab number is 43305. He is an older white man.
Ten minutes later the concierge eventually found me another Cab.
Around 9pm I waited for the Jubilee Line to take me back to Central London. I group of men were waiting for the same train about 100 feet away from me. Their Spokesman walked over to me and with very yellow teeth and a smile he asked if I would need any help getting into the train and if I did he would be happy to help me. I simply responded, no.
After he walked back to his friends I put my headphones in my ear to distance myself from any other comments.
A couple minutes later he walked over to me again and I paused my song and he knelt down beside me and said he and his friends were into Public Development. He asked if I was offended by his previous question. Before I answered I looked over to his friends and they were laughing and sneaking glances at us. I kept eye contact with their group until they stopped. I looked at the man with the yellow teeth and said yes. I sighed and moved as far away from him as I could. I rolled onto the train without a problem.
After I returned to the hotel I went out to get some sandwhiches. As I made my way to the corner Tesco a man was approaching me from across the street with great speed. He walked briskly up to me and yelled, I RESPECT YOU! LET ME HELP YOU! he went to grab my arm I pulled away and told him to fuck off. I kept going to the Tesco and he did not follow.
I bought my Ham and Cheese sandwhich, a small carton of 2% milk, and a chocolate bar and went back to the hotel.
It was 11pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home